Episode 3 - Which Show is better, Buffy or TrueBlood?

Go down

Which show is better, Buffy or TrueBlood?

67% 67% 
[ 4 ]
33% 33% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 6

Episode 3 - Which Show is better, Buffy or TrueBlood?

Post  justjay - admin on Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:51 am

Which show is better, Buffy or TrueBlood? Support your show by posting and voting for your show of choice! Also, lets have a clean fight folks, I don't want to have to bring the ban hammer into this!
justjay - admin
Admin
Admin

Character Sheet
Surf Name: Romcom the Slayer
Character Level: 100
Class: Action Star (Fighter)

View user profile http://switchingchannels.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Episode 3 - Which Show is better, Buffy or TrueBlood?

Post  winklepitter on Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:38 pm

We rented the first season and it is really really good so far but it hasnt gotten as good as buffy yet. But Im not saying that it couldnt.
winklepitter

Character Sheet
Surf Name: Surfette
Character Level: 1
Class: Nurse (Healer)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottP on Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:50 pm

I enjoy True Blood more because it really brings you into the show. As was mentioned in your podcast they very much tackle real life issues under a mask subtle innuendoes and wordplay. Gay rights/equal rights/religion/oppression all things happening right now are addressed in a very well presented parallel. Vampires (coming out of the coffin) are the main focal point but that doesn't stop them from addressing the dangers of religious fanaticism, slavery/oppression, actual gay rights and stereotypes (Lafayette=win). But the show never gets lost in its messages.

Buffy embraces its comic type roots. I really felt like I was watching a comic come to life when I watched Buffy. It had it serious moments but never took itself too seriously. The monster of the week worked and the Angel arc was excellent. I just wish some of the characters got developed a little more. Some seemed a little more static and it took 5 seasons to see any real development occur. I still love the show but I enjoy True Blood's ability to rapidly develop a character without the viewer feeling rushed. Every character in True Blood has developed so much since the first episodes where you thought you could call everything and then the writers left you going "oh shit". I love that. I hate predictability and True Blood will have you smacking your forehead more than once for calling some characters action or situation and then throw everything out the window. I really look forward to this show's progression and I hope the writers stay on top of things and don't mess up a good thing.

ScottP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  justjay - admin on Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:10 pm

You make some great points about trueblood and I tend to agree with almost everything you say. Still, I feel that it has a little ways to go before it reaches the command of the audience's emotional and mental resources that Buffy reached. If it were strictly a matter of by-the-line syntax, I'd give it to TrueBlood - like if the question was "Which has the better dialog" - that would be TrueBlood, no doubt. But there is something intangible about Buffy, dare I say a soul? - that lives in its mythology that I don't see in TrueBlood yet. Perhaps it's something that can only be attained with more time in the oven.

Or it may have something to do with that character development you were commending earlier. That is one place where I disagree. Allow me to get a bit "out there" for a moment. While I do believe that fast character development is a difficult feat, and surely a tell for skilled writers if it's done without feeling rushed, I don't know how much it does for me as far as a TV show is concerned. In a movie, I love a very dynamic character who develops quickly and changes wildly, because, for all accounts, we are dealing with a short period of time. In TrueBlood I feel like there has been more character development in 1 and 1/3 of a season than there was in like 3 and 1/2 seasons of buffy. The problem is that if you change up your characters too quickly, and too often, the impact that the audience is supposed to feel, connected to that change, is not as great.

Or let me put it simply. If you have a character in a show and lets say one of his defining traits is that he is afraid of spiders (something a little less emotional or abstract than we normally deal with in shows like this, but it works for the point) and lets say there are 2 versions of the show. In one, he struggles for 1 season with this fear and then overcomes it during the season finale and in the other he struggles with it for 3 seasons and then overcomes it in the season 3 finale. Setting all other differences aside, and focusing on just the length of time, the second version, which is 3 seasons long, is going to be more dramatic if for no other reason than the wait has been longer, which gives the viewer more time for reflection and the development of tension etc.

And this is a problem I see with lots of shows lately. Maybe some people like it, but I don't. I want long development. I want heavy investment. I feel the more time I give, the greater the return and I just hope that TrueBlood isn't moving too fast. The second season seems to be better paced than the first, so it doesn't concern me as much as it did earlier, and you could even chalk it up as the writers and actors settling into their respective roles, but I still feel it is worth bringing up just in case.

All you show-makers out there, I'm talking to you now: Give it time! Yes, the average viewer today has less patience than they did 10 years ago (I sure to gods know that I do), but if your shit is good, that won't matter. People will not mind a good slow build if you keep them well entertained while you work it out. Many shows have mucked it up that way, some really great ones, in fact. Twin Peaks and Lost are two that I can think of which got their formula a little wrong and both were great shows (well, lost was at first anyway).

Either way, thanks for bringing that up. I would have never even thought about this stuff had you not pointed it out in the first place!!
justjay - admin
Admin
Admin

Character Sheet
Surf Name: Romcom the Slayer
Character Level: 100
Class: Action Star (Fighter)

View user profile http://switchingchannels.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  marshmellowsatellite on Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:18 pm

justjay - admin wrote:You make some great points about trueblood and I tend to agree with almost everything you say. Still, I feel that it has a little ways to go before it reaches the command of the audience's emotional and mental resources that Buffy reached. If it were strictly a matter of by-the-line syntax, I'd give it to TrueBlood - like if the question was "Which has the better dialog" - that would be TrueBlood, no doubt. But there is something intangible about Buffy, dare I say a soul? - that lives in its mythology that I don't see in TrueBlood yet. Perhaps it's something that can only be attained with more time in the oven.

Or it may have something to do with that character development you were commending earlier. That is one place where I disagree. Allow me to get a bit "out there" for a moment. While I do believe that fast character development is a difficult feat, and surely a tell for skilled writers if it's done without feeling rushed, I don't know how much it does for me as far as a TV show is concerned. In a movie, I love a very dynamic character who develops quickly and changes wildly, because, for all accounts, we are dealing with a short period of time. In TrueBlood I feel like there has been more character development in 1 and 1/3 of a season than there was in like 3 and 1/2 seasons of buffy. The problem is that if you change up your characters too quickly, and too often, the impact that the audience is supposed to feel, connected to that change, is not as great.

Or let me put it simply. If you have a character in a show and lets say one of his defining traits is that he is afraid of spiders (something a little less emotional or abstract than we normally deal with in shows like this, but it works for the point) and lets say there are 2 versions of the show. In one, he struggles for 1 season with this fear and then overcomes it during the season finale and in the other he struggles with it for 3 seasons and then overcomes it in the season 3 finale. Setting all other differences aside, and focusing on just the length of time, the second version, which is 3 seasons long, is going to be more dramatic if for no other reason than the wait has been longer, which gives the viewer more time for reflection and the development of tension etc.

And this is a problem I see with lots of shows lately. Maybe some people like it, but I don't. I want long development. I want heavy investment. I feel the more time I give, the greater the return and I just hope that TrueBlood isn't moving too fast. The second season seems to be better paced than the first, so it doesn't concern me as much as it did earlier, and you could even chalk it up as the writers and actors settling into their respective roles, but I still feel it is worth bringing up just in case.

All you show-makers out there, I'm talking to you now: Give it time! Yes, the average viewer today has less patience than they did 10 years ago (I sure to gods know that I do), but if your shit is good, that won't matter. People will not mind a good slow build if you keep them well entertained while you work it out. Many shows have mucked it up that way, some really great ones, in fact. Twin Peaks and Lost are two that I can think of which got their formula a little wrong and both were great shows (well, lost was at first anyway).

Either way, thanks for bringing that up. I would have never even thought about this stuff had you not pointed it out in the first place!!

[Nods and tries to look smart.] study
marshmellowsatellite

Character Sheet
Surf Name: Sarasota Fluff
Character Level: 2
Class: Mindfreak (Mage)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I love them both!

Post  louisedollie on Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:32 pm

Honestly I love them both, but I have to give it to buffy. True Blood hasn't surpassed the Buffy/Angel story yet. That was so good I still get a little teary just thinking about it!
louisedollie

Character Sheet
Surf Name: Jordypoopoo
Character Level: 1
Class: Talk Show Host (Bard)

View user profile http://starrynightsstables.blogspot.com/2009/03/happy-ponies.htm

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum