Switching Channels
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Book Time Waster

Go down

Book Time Waster Empty Book Time Waster

Post  justjay - admin Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:38 pm

Got some spare time? Fill out this little survey on the books you've read that I found on Facebook.

1) Which book has been on your shelves the longest?
My copy of Kiteman of Karanga by Alfred Reynolds. I've had it for over 20 years. It has where I practiced my cursive writing in the margins when I was a very young one. It's the first novel I ever read.

2) What was your favorite book when you were 10 years old?
Dragons of Autumn Twilight by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman.

3) What book did everyone like and you hated?
The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown.

4) Which book do you keep telling yourself you’ll read, but you probably won’t?
The Bible.

5) What is the biggest or most embarrassing gap in your reading?
The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck. I was supposed to read it in school and I didn't. I cheated on all the tests and have never picked it up. It's the only time I ever did that.

6) Last page: read it first or wait ‘til the end?
Never have read last page first. Never will.

7) What’s one book that made you laugh and one that made you cry?
Laugh: The Areas of My Expertise by John Hodgman - This is a FANTASTIC and a HILARIOUS read!
Cry: The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger. I was around 13 the first I read it. Went through it in 2 sessions over a 24 hour period. At the time I felt I could really relate to Holden and it made the journey all the more emotional. The end just nailed me!

Cool Which book character would you switch places with?
Madman from the Madman Comic Series by Mike Allred.

9) Do you have a book that reminds you of something specific in your life (a person, a place, a time)?
Robert A. Heinlein's Stranger in a Strangeland, one of my favorite books of all time, reminds me of that 4 year point in my life where I was homeless and bouncing around in Covington Ky. I probably read it like 10 times during that period in my life. Kept it in my pocket. Got me through some tough times. Glad they're behind me.

10) Name a book you acquired in some interesting way.
Got my first copy of The House on the Borderland by William Hope Hodgson through Book Crossing, which is a club where people stamp their books, leave them in public places, and then when a stranger finds it they follow the web address to the book crossing website and, in turn, can do the same thing.

11) Have you ever given away a book for a special reason to a special person?
I give books away all the time. It's my gift of choice for Birthdays and Christmas.

12) Name one book that changed your life.
For Us, The Living: A Comedy of Customs by Robert A. Heinlein. There was just something about how he saw people and the way he saw the perfect world. Of course most of the books Ive read have changed me in some way, but that was the first that came to mind.

13) Any “required reading” you hated in high school that wasn’t so bad ten years later?
I ddint like Saki when we read it in school but now I dig it.

14) What book has most made you want to visit a place?
Blue Roots: African-American Folk Magic of the Gullah People by Roger Pinckney makes me want to visit the Southeastern low-country islands off the coast of South Carolina every time I read it. Our next vacation will be there for sure.

15) What book would you recommend to a teenager reluctant to try “literature”?
It would really depend on the individual, but in general I think The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman would be a good place to start reading.

16) Used or brand new?
Used. The artist's choice for reading material.

17) Stephen King: Literary genius or opiate of the masses?
Literary genius. He is truly gifted. I'm not going into why here, because that would turn into a rant. But yeah, the dude works hard and he has changed writing.

18) Have you ever seen a movie you liked better than the book?
The Princess Bride by William Goldman. The book was a major letdown.

19) Conversely, which book should NEVER have been introduced to celluloid?
Even Cowgirls Get the Blues by Tom Robbins

20) What is your current read, your last read and the book you’ll read next?
Current: Deathbird Stories by Harlan Ellison
Last: The Living Dead by Various
Next: Only Revolutions: A Novel by Mark Z. Danielewski
justjay - admin
justjay - admin
Admin
Admin

Character Sheet
Surf Name: Romcom the Slayer
Character Level: 100
Class: Action Star (Fighter)

https://switchingchannels.forumotion.net